November 17, 2018

Race Tomorrow

The race is tomorrow morning. I received notification that the practice swim is canceled. I don’t know the reason, but am assuming the race is going forward. It cannot be the weather. It is probably some unhealthy water conditions. I would love to take a water sample to streak out an Agar plate. The coliform count would be interesting. I will try not to open my mouth during the entire swim.

Yesterday I rode the Beeline Highway once. It is a great route for a time trial. I came across a damsel in distress. Her name is Twee, she had a front flat from a staple. I changed her tube out for her. She is from OC and is in the race for the first time.

Cactus pool is extremely nice. I swam for 2 hours, about 6000 yards. I have taken to swimming with a full sleeved rash guard. It looks odd, but it is effective. It slows me down with extra resistance. This is helpful in these tiny swimming pools. I am sick of doing 200+ flip turns. It seems most of the pools in the US are 25 yards. In Canada, the lap pools are usually 50 meters or 25 meters. The rash guard also eliminates the need for sunblock.

Paul Dunlap and Mark Bierotte from velofix.com delivered my bike safe and sound. It is dialed, tires good. The top tube is decorated with gels. I had to affix the dreaded bento box and seat bag. My tri duds do not have pockets. In cycling circles, these appliances are widely mocked. In a triathlon, they seem socially acceptable.

My racing outfit is also a little embarrassing. It is a black, skin-tight onesie. Nowhere else but an Ironman would these be presentable attire.

Today I have very few tasks. My transition bags are organized, the GPS devices and Etap batteries are charged up. In the afternoon I deliver my bike and equipment bags to the transition area. The transition area is very elaborate. It is lit up, has secure fences and guards on patrol.

The main objective for today is to get to sleep early. Last night my sleep was disrupted. My house is next to a large Scottsdale high school. There was some stupid football game last night. The commentator's voice was booming inside my house. There was some type of brass marching band. It sounded like the tubas were right outside my window. I walked over in my pajamas to see what the racket was. There were only a handful of spectators in the grandstands. I don’t understand the point of all the racket. Hopefully, there will not be a game tonight.

I am really restless and itching to go. I recognize this as a healthy sensation. I am most looking forward to the run. I have been running well this year despite low mileage. I hope to not have to slow my run pace for eating or drinking. I plan to do most of my eating, drinking, and salt replacement during the bike ride. Off I go to cook dinner. Next report to follow the race tomorrow.

1 comment:

Comments Welcome